22 August, 2005

Window Dressing

This started off as a comment on Khyati's post, but as the words were flying out from the keyboard, I decided to publish it as a post instead.
Read on...


As I look outside my window, I can just about touch the leaves of a coconut tree. At the fag end of this leaf, sits a crow pecking at the remains of what was once probably a fish. At the base of another leaf by its side, there is a half eaten chappati. On the third leaf there is some idli and on the fourth, some other meat. The crow hops from one leaf to the other, alternating between the wide spread of culinary delights it has managed to pilfer.

Meanwhile, the aroma of mutton biryani from the second floor, combined with that of fried fish from the floor below finds its way into my nostrils and sends the salivary glands into a tizzy. Before I know it, I find myself heading for the kitchen, asking mother dear ,"What's for lunch?" "Dal and alu methi." Brilliant. I shall go back to watching the crow eat its fill. Atleast someone has a choice over their afternoon meal.

So exult O shores and ring O bells
but I with mournful tread,
walk the deck my mutton lies
fallen cold and dead.

Existential angst?? Naah... not from my window.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so,abeer dear,wats for khana this evening??
;)

how 'bout biryani at Lucky's??lol

and don't talk to me abt food today...i'm fasting:(:(

banthehyphen said...

baida ghotala anybody?

bheja fry?

no?

bhej crishpy it is then.

rakshitdoshi said...

aaj toh... butter chicken hai... usme.... piece ata hai... piece
(index and thumb stretched in a 'u' and wrist rotated in both directions)

Gypsynan said...

what about some konkani fish joint? Taste of Mumbai!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Abeer,
I am glad you brought this post here. I delighted in reading it. Your detail had me sitting right next to you. Sometimes when I read, a writer's voice will make me think I would like to talk to this person. Your writing did that.

Beautiful work. Thank you.

smiles,
me-Liz

Anonymous said...

dropped in to say hi-hello!:)
i dont have nay other contact info 4 u...lol.

abeer said...

Hi hello to all ;)
Am running out of things to post here.